As the mercury drops and the unrelenting winter season sets in, lip care particularly needs special attention. The outer layer of lips is extremely thin and since there are no sebaceous glands to protect lips, they tend to crack easily during winter.
Although lips are considered conspicuous indicators of physical beauty, lip care is highly neglected leading to flaky and chapped lips in winters. According a recent research and a global consumer survey, around 92 per cent women are far more likely to opt for a cosmetic product like lipstick instead of a specialist lip care product. With moisture levels dipping in winters, lips bear the brunt and end up appearing cracked or unnaturally red, and in extreme cases, bleed as well.
Besides, a renowned dermatologist Dr Rekha Sheth from Skin & Hair Care, Mumbai, opines, “A vitamin B deficiency in diet can also cause cracking of lips, which is further aggravated by the harshness of winters. Therefore, to soothe the condition, it is essential to include a wide variety of vitamin B rich sources of food in the diet like meat products, yeast, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, bananas, potatoes, milk, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, nuts, pulses, fish, wholegrain cereals, brown rice, apricots and figs.” In addition, you can easily nourish your lips and keep them soft by following a few useful tips mentioned below:
- Lipstick should always be removed before sleeping and the lips should be gently massaged with jojoba oil, cinnamon leaf oil or clarified butter, since they are discerned as excellent natural moisturizers.
- Regular application of lip balm or a good quality herbal lotion after short intervals in winter is highly recommended.
- Apply warm sesame oil as it is also known to soothe lips immensely. It also protects the lips from UV rays.
- Use of lip balms with an SPF factor is advised because it not only moisturizes the lips but also protects them from harmful sun rays as well.
- Prior to lipstick application, it is recommended to nourish the lips with balsam as since certain chemical components in lipsticks cause dryness.
- By applying a juicy paste made out ripe papaya, you can soften your chapped lips. Papaya contains certain exfoliating enzymes which add suppleness to lips.
- To improve moisture level on the skin of lips, you can also dip a black tea bag in warm water and press it on lips for three to four minutes.
- Never bite or chew dry lips as it will only worsen the problem. Instead, you should using lip lotions or lip balms to find relief from chapped lips..
- Drink at least eight or more glasses of water throughout the day to ensure that both lips and your body remain well-hydrated.
- Gentle exfoliation of dry lips during winters is highly recommended. To exfoliate, make a paste by mixing 2 teaspoons of semolina with half-spoon of honey and massage the lips with this mixture with the help of a soft toothbrush.
- Also, regular use of daily maintenance creams rich in skin-exfoliating AHAs (alpha-hydroxy-acids), moisturizers, Vitamins A and E remarkably reduce cracking of lips along with wrinkles on the surface of the lips.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure supple lips throughout the year, especially during winters, when chapping and flaking of lips are a common occurrence.