If you do not exercise regularly, your muscles are likely to become weak in the later stages. The muscles that comprise the floor of the pelvis may contribute to several problems, such as urinary leakage or overactive bladder. According to Foxnews.com, Kegel exercises help tighten and relax the pubococcygeus muscles that are responsible for holding the urine in the bladder.
Kegel exercise for women is practised for a few minutes every day and doing so helps in strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor increasing the support of urinary and genital organs. This can potentially help enhance love life. Take a look at these instructions on doing Kegel exercise for women.
- Try locating and gaining control of your pelvic floor muscles by mimicking everyday uses of them. Try stopping the urine stream while emptying the bladder. The muscles that are used to stop the urine stream are pelvic floor muscles. Do not be dejected if you cannot stop the urine stream. The very objective of performing Kegel exercises is to control the muscles.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and lie down. Partially insert a finger into your vagina. Try squeezing the muscles of the pelvis until you feel the vagina contracting around the finger. Once you feel pressure on your finger, observe the muscles that you used to contract. These are the muscles that you would be working on when doing Kegel exercises.
- If you are not confident about the muscles that you will have to work on during Kegel exercises, repeat the focusing steps a couple of times. You will need several days of practice until you can contract the muscles at will. Take time to focus on your pelvic muscles as that will help you perform Kegel exercises more effectively in the later stages.
- Dr Mehmet Oz at sharecare.com recommends that one does at least three sessions of Kegel exercises per day. For instance, you may do one set before dressing up, another when you are having your lunch break and the final set after your nightly bedtime routine.You must, however, as Dr May Wakamastsu at sharecare.com says, avoid doing all the sessions together.
- Empty your bladder before starting a Kegel session.
- For a slow count of three, contract the pelvic floor muscles and relax for the same amount of time. Repeat the contraction and relaxation exercise at least 10 times during each practise session.
- As you become an expert or a regular in practising Kegel exercises, alternate the exercising in standing, sitting and lying positions. Some women prefer changing the position of their body during each practise session by performing few exercises in each position. You may choose a different body position for every session.
- Increase the number of repetitions you perform. You may also gradually increase the period of holding a contraction from just three seconds in the beginning to ten seconds.
- Make Kegel exercises a part of your routine.
Read more articles on Exercise and Fitness.