You may see that your abdomen is expanding as large fibroids are adding weight to your body due to hormonal imbalances or increase in the size of the fibroid. But, one can lose weight with fibroids with a bit of effort and medical treatment. Losing weight may relieve uterine fibroids.
Fibroids and Weight Loss
- A requisite diet plan and exercise schedule can help to lose weight that has been gained as a result of uterine fibroids. You need to cut 500 to 1,000 calories a day, eat a well-rounded diet (comprising fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low-fat dairy) and engage in moderate exercises.
- Sometimes, medications prescribed to reduce fibroids may cause weight gain as a side-effect and it may become difficult to lose weight. These are caused by a hormone imbalances, which are further stimulated by estrogen and progesterone (hormones involved in a woman's menstrual cycle). In this case, birth control pills are advised to suppress the hormones responsible for fibroids growth. The large fibroids are removed with a surgery and you may lose weight as a result of their removal.
Weight Loss Program for Fibroids
- A weight-loss diet for fibroids suppresses estrogen hormone. The diet should essentially have protein-rich food and healthy fat food options such as omega-3 olive oil and flaxseed.
- One should stick to foods low in sugar, starch and low-glycemic carbohydrates. Dietary fibre level should be increased by consuming fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains. Increasing dietary fibre level stabilises your blood sugar.
- Make sure that you don’t eliminate fat entirely from your diet. Healthy fat in your diet is essential to maintain body well-being and weight control.
- A dietary regimen that reduces your calorie intake must be complemented with a regular physical activity. An exercise for 30 minutes every day is sufficient for weight-loss regimen. It could be a moderate intensity aerobic exercise, or strength training and stretching. Don’t push your body if you have been thriving on a sedentary lifestyle for a while. Perform low-intensity exercise and pick up pace gradually.
- Make sure you avoid foods that make inroads to your ability to lose weight, which include recipes high in saturated fat and foods laden with processed sugar. These foods have a negative influence on liver and prevent affect the breakdown of hormones (especially estrogen) in your body.
A doctor should be consulted if fibroids symptoms are getting intense or have been interfering with your daily activities.
Read more articles on Weight Loss