Lemon juice is our favourite refreshing drink after a day out in scorching heat. What most of us didn’t realise when lemon quenched our thirst and bit the exhaustion apart is that it also refreshed more than just the throat and that is our skin.
Lemon juice contains vitamin C that functions as an antioxidant and helps in the formation of collagen. This combination can do wonders for your skin and remove age spots.
Age spots start to appear as early as 30s on different parts of the skin that are most exposed to the sun such as the chest, back, hands and arms. Although, age spots may look just like moles, they are different. While a person is genetically predetermined to have moles, age spots develop because of cumulative exposure to the sun over the years.
If you are age spots, you are highly likely to suffer from skin cancer in the future. Therefore, it is important to visit a doctor if there is any change in colour or appearance of the mole or if the appearance of the age spot worries you. The treatment of age spots depends on how much time you spend in the sun and how you follow up with the treatment method prescribed.
Lemon juice works to remove age spots because of its richness of vitamin C or absorbic acid, which helps to boost the immune system of the body and attacks any/all free radicals as well as toxins that may be present in the body.
Lemon Recipe to Remove Age Spots
• Soak cotton with lemon juice and apply it on that area of the skin which has age spots. In case you have a sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with about 50% of water before applying.
• Leave it on your skin for somewhere between 5-30 minutes depending upon the sensitivity of your skin and then wash it off. If you have any kind of doubt, begin by leaving the lemon juice for lesser duration. If you feel any kind of discomfort, wash it off.
• Repeat the process every day. Normally, the results will be visible in a few weeks’ time. For larger age spots to vanish, it may take a little longer.
• Do not apply lemon juice just before the exposure to sunlight as the photosensitivity of the skin increases due to the hydroxyl acids present in the lemon juice.
Precautionary Steps and other Tips
• If you are a beginner, you may try lemon on lighter parts of your skin like the face by making the lemon juice a lighter peel. This can be done by diluting the lemon juice about 50 per cent by mixing it with water.
• Make sure you are extra careful when applying the juice of the lemon on your face as if it accidently comes in contact with your eyes, the latter may experience irritation.
• Avoid applying lemon juice just before stepping out in the sun because lemon contains alpha hydroxyl acids that can increase the photosensitivity of the skin.
• Make sure you do not apply too much of the lemon juice on sensitive parts of your skin such as around the neck, chest and face.
Read more articles on Anti-ageing.
Age spots, though mosty referred to as signs of ageing are also a sign of skin cancer. Learn about its causes, risk factors and treatment methods.read more
There will be times when white spots on lips will ruin your look but have you ever wondered what are these white spots? What causes them?read more