Also known as juvenile diabetes, type 1 diabetes is usually detected in children, adolescents and teenagers. Type 1 diabetes means that the body is failing to produce insulin. This type of diabetes generally makes a person, insulin dependent for life. Adults and children, who are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, tend to suffer from initial weight loss and then weight gain.
In order to lose weight with type 1 diabetes, one needs to exercise control over the glucose levels in the body and also control other weight affecting factors such as secretion form the thyroid glands and cholesterol levels in the body.
Losing weight with type 1 diabetes
People who are burdened with increasing weight after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes can look into the following suggestions:
- It is important to keep a check on one’s weight if someone has type 1 diabetes. Even minor weight gain needs to be checked. Effective ways to lose weight with type 1 diabetes are healthy eating and appropriate physical activity.
- Type 1 diabetes requires a person to eat more food. However, a good way to lose weight is to reduce calorie intake slowly, once the blood sugar level is being effectively controlled with insulin therapy.
Daily exercise is the best way to lose weight with type 1 diabetes
If you have gained a lot of weight because of your insulin therapy, you can lose the extra flab with routine workouts.
- Cardio and resistance training are the ways to attack the flab in the body.
- However, make sure to eat a small snack before you exercise and keep a check on your blood sugar level. Measure it before and after exercising.
- A protein shake after a workout will help you regain lost energy.
- Also keep a supply of food handy while exercising.
- Do not take insulin shot right before exercising, as insulin decrease the blood pressure.
- Children with type 1 diabetes need to indulge in outdoor activities. Swimming lessons, cricket and football are just some ways in which a child’s weight can be kept in check.
Healthy nutrition is another way to keep a check on weight with type 1 diabetes
- Make sure to consult a nutritionist before embarking on any diet that aids losing weight with type 1 diabetes.
- Count your calories and fat intake. A good diet for losing weight with type 1 diabetes will control the fat and protein content in your diet because they do not have any bearing on the blood sugar levels.
- Carbohydrates are important for you. Consistent intake of carbohydrates will actually help in maintaining and controlling the blood sugar level in the body.
- You need to know what you are eating in order to lose weight with type 1 diabetes. A proficient nutritionist will be able to chart out your food intake after analysing your body requirement and medication.
Weight management with type 1 diabetes actually helps in keeping the associated risk of diabetes such as heart ailments at bay. One also needs to remember that weight loss in type 1 diabetes cannot be an overnight process. Take measured steps and slowly you will find that you are losing excess weight. A healthy diet and enough physical activity are the best ways to lose weight with type 1 diabetes.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Understand Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus