Kidney is a bean shaped organ about the size of a fist situated in your abdomen. Most people have two kidneys, one on each side of the spine. The functioning unit of the kidney is called nephron and each kidney has about a million nephrons. The primary function of the kidney is to remove the toxins and waste product from blood and keep blood clean and chemically balanced. The waste products are removed from your body as urine. Besides this a normal kidney is essential for other critical functions such as:
• Maintaining your body’s fluid composition.
• Kidneys secrete a hormone called erythropoietin, which is needed to make blood
• The kidneys synthesize renin (an enzyme) which helps to maintain the blood pressure.
• Vitamin D is converted to its most active form in the kidney
Therefore as you can see that these are reasons why it is absolutely necessary to take care of your kidneys.
If the kidneys become overloaded with toxins their functioning capacity is compromised. When the kidneys don’t function effectively kidney stones may be formed due to precipitation of various salts present in the urine. People with kidney problems may have symptoms such as lower back pain or pain in the kidney area, blood in the urine, edema due to water retention.
If you have such symptoms techniques to clean the kidney to dissolve the stones can be helpful. A kidney cleanse can improve your kidney health and function by flushing out the toxins from your kidney and bladder. It helps the kidneys to function better, flushes out stones, and prevents urinary tract infection. There are several types of kidney cleansing programs. Some of the commonly used kidney cleansing procedures is give here below.
Cider vinegar: In this therapy you will be advised to take two teaspoons of cider vinegar in a glass of water, six times a day during cleansing.
Water fasting therapy: This involves drinking large quantities of water for a specified duration of time without food. Besides water fasting, juicing (or juice fasting) is also considered as a good way to cleanse and detoxify the kidneys. Juice fasting gives your body some nutrients, minerals, enzymes and the energy to support various metabolic processes during fasting.
Total kidney cleanse: This procedure uses a blend of herbs and potassium citrate to cleanse the kidneys, urinary bladder, and urinary tract. You will be advised to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day during the therapy.
• Drink plenty of water --experts recommend drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day.
• Try to maintain a healthy blood pressure [120/80 mm Hg].
• Avoid frequent use of pain killers or other medications (avoid using drugs which are not prescribed by your doctor).
• Have a healthy lifestyle and eat a balanced and healthy diet.
• Do exercises regularly.
• Try to minimize stress levels by practice of yoga, meditation, or any other relaxation technique.
• Do not use excessive salt in food.
• Avoid alcohol, red meat, drugs etc.
Several kidney cleansing programs are available on the net and in books. But it is advisable to take any kidney detoxification program, under the guidance of a qualified therapist. Most kidney cleanse programs have to be followed for six weeks to get good results. You can discuss with your therapist to find out a plan which suits you the best. Along with this dietary and lifestyle changes should be followed to improve and sustain your health and wellbeing.
Read more articles on Understand Kidney Diseases.
While it is possible to live quite well with only one kidney, it is crucial to have two healthy kidneys in order to have a healthy body.read more