Emotional intimacy is about accepting your partner with his or her faults. Being close or intimate to a person means that you do not fear value judgement in his company and at the same time, you can be yourself. Emotional intimacy is important because you get acceptance, respect, admiration and feelings of self-worth mutually. It would be great if you knew ways to work on it and make it better.
Ways to increase emotional intimacy
- You would be surprised to know how certain games can actually increase emotional intimacy between you and your partner. Just look at your partner for 15 minutes from a distance of 3 to 6 feet. You two should have already agreed to do it without any distractions. You might feel like looking away or laughing but persist. Keep looking until you become a little comfortable.
[Read: Ways to Encourage Emotional Intimacy with Your Husband]
- Do not underestimate the importance of gestures such as touches and gentle pats. The constant reaffirmation of caring and affection that only partners share helps a lot to increase intimacy. It would be a good lessen to your children too, if any. It will give them a message of security and wellness.
- Observe little things about your partner and tell them about it in casual chit chat. It may not always be loaded with romantic assertions. Just show that you are interested in him/her.
- Learn to notice what your partner says or when he/she offers something to you. Do not let past baggage ruin the present. Always show gratitude in accepting the offers and do not give messages that have a bearing in the past.
[Read: Ways to Improve Intimacy with Your Husband]
- Spending time alone is very important for maintaining and increasing emotional intimacy. It could be anything, such as a walk in the park, talking about how the day went, a devotion session with reads from Holy Scriptures and even being silent together. They play their part in improving psychological intimacy between partners.
- If you are one of those who are not conscious about your partner’s need to give vent to feelings, grow wiser. People want to be heard more. They may not always want a solution from you but just need to feel that you are there for her.
The tips given here for increasing emotional intimacy are not exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. If you are mature and caring for your partner and want to take your intimacy in this relationship to the next level, other ways will surely come up in your mind.
Read more articles on Sex & Relationships.
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.