This exercise can be done anywhere while you are watching TV or lying down.
- Contract your pelvic-floor muscles-the ones which are used to stop the flow of urine.
- Do this along with lowering and lifting your shoulders to work your abdominal muscles.
Upper ab Crunches
- Lie down on your back with bent knees.
- Your hands must be stretched behind you.
- Keeping your lower back pressed into the floor; lift your shoulder blades off the floor curling your upper body towards your knee.
- Contract your abs as hard as you can as you lift yourself up.
- Now lower your back to the starting potion.
- Lie down on your back with knees bent and your feet a few inches off the floor.
- You can either place your hands below your hips or behind your head.
- Slowly contract the abdominal by rotating the pelvis up and bringing your knees towards your rib cage. Focus on letting your abs do the work.
- Hold the position for 10 counts and then slowly lower your knees to the starting position.
- Follow the upper ab crunches with diagonal tilts to the right and the left side targeting the oblique and transverse abdominis.
- Lie down straight on the sports mat.
- Rise from your shoulders and reach out to your left knee with your right hand.
- Hold for 5 counts lowering yourself.
- 3 sets of 10-16 repetitions must be enough. Change sides and repeat exercise.
Legs and Buttocks
a. Dumbbell squats
- Stand with the feet shoulder width apart, arms hanging down by the sides, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Look straight ahead and keep the abdominals contracted. Arch the back slightly outwards while bending the knees and lowering the hips towards the floor.
- Stop when the thighs reach horizontal, extend the knees and return to the standing position.
Note: Do not let the knees cross the toes in the sitting position. Keep looking straight and maintain a slight concave arch in the back. Never round the back.
b. Leg extension
- Sit on the leg extension machine and grasp the handles to stabilize the torso.
- Bend the knees and place the ankles under the ankle pads.
- Using the front thigh muscles, extend (straighten) the legs so that they are parallel to the floor.
- Slowly return back to starting position.
c. Lying leg curls
- Lie facing downwards on the leg curl machine holding the handles, legs straight and ankles fixed under the ankle pads.
- Using the back thigh muscles, curl the legs trying to touch the hips with the heels.
- Slowly uncurl.
Note: Keep the toes pointed away from the body.
d. Cable back kicks
- Stand on one leg facing the cable machine and the other leg attached to the ankle strap of the low pulley.
- Keep the pelvis tilted forward and grasp the handle to stabilize the position.
- Extend the hip and pull the leg back and then slowly return to the starting position.
Note: Hip extension is limited so do not try to go overboard. Do the movement slowly and in control.
- Sit on the floor with your back straight.
- Make sure you are not printing your hands on the floor. Keep them to your si...
Read more articles on Exercise and Fitness