Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Know about Losing Hair during and after Pregnancy

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Dec 16, 2011
4.8 / 5(4 Ratings)
Quick Bites

  • The estrogen hormone actually makes your hair grow.
  • There could be exceptions to this rule, but do not be alarmed.
  • Your hair loss happens as your hair is in a resting phase.
  • Use warm oil to massage your scalp.

More

Owing to hormonal fluctuations, hair loss during and after pregnancy is experienced by a few women.  The condition of your hair in terms of shine and volume will be inconstant during the course of the pregnancy or even post it.

 

hairloss during pregnancyAt a time approximately 90% of your hair is in the growth phase while the rest 10% are in the resting phase. During pregnancy there is an increase in the level of the estrogen hormone that ensures hair growth; this is a major factor why pregnant women have voluminous hair when pregnant. But everyone isn’t that lucky, 60% of women report hair loss during the pregnancy.

 

Hair loss during pregnancy

During pregnancy 80% of your hair goes into the resting phase and your hair follicles enter a normal hair loss cycle. The number of hair you lose during this phase should not be a matter of concern as it is normal to lose a minimal number of hair strands pregnancy. This hair loss will not consequently lead to bald spots and even if there are certain small hair loss patches, they will be covered soon. If you feel that the hair loss rate during the pregnancy is not normal, it is probably due to a lower vitamin intake. Ensure that you take vitamin supplements and folic acid. Your hair will return to its normal cycle within 6 to 12 months of your pregnancy. It isn’t a matter of worry and should efface soon.


Hair loss after pregnancy

Numerous women report cases of extensive hair loss post pregnancy as compared to women who reported hair loss while they were pregnant. Hair loss during this phase is prevalent and this is so because of the fluctuating hormone levels.  The estrogen level in your body decreases post childbirth and it may take some time for your hormone level to return to normal. Women are majorly concerned about the hair they lose post pregnancy because as compared to the normal hair loss of losing 100 strands a day will turn into losing large amounts of hair strands not on a daily basis but together. This leads to bald patches and thinning of the hair. It is a temporary problem, so don’t worry.


Hair care tips during and after pregnancy

There exist numerous measures you can resort to in order to prevent hair loss both during and after pregnancy. Consider the following guidelines:

  • Consult your doctor who would help look at balancing tossed of hormone levels. Take supplements if advised.
  • Use warm oil (not boiling hot) to massage your scalp and strengthen hair follicles.
  • Avoid making pony tails, tying your hair with rubber bands, instead use clutchers to minimise the stress and strain on your hair.
  • Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables to promote hair growth and protect hair follicles.
  • Use gentle and broad toothed combs and brushes to avoid breakage and split ends.
  • Try not to use blow dryers, check if you can use cooling instruments to dry your hair instead or the best is to let them dry on their own.


After the birth of your baby it may take some time for your hair to come back to normal, so do have patience.


Read related articles on Pregnancy Problems


Related Articles
4.8 / 5(4 Ratings)
Write a Review
Post a Comment
Disclaimer +
Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.