Great abs are right next to impossible with no physical activity and an unhealthy lifestyle. There's a lot of hard work and diet control is included. If you are not up for high intensity ab workouts and a strict diet routine, forget about having ripped abs. However, if you really wish to have those sculpted abs, here are some exercises that you must try.
These exercise can be done anywhere while you are watching TV or lying down.
Upper ab crunches
- Lie down on your back with bent knees.
- Your hands must be stretched behind you.
- Keeping your lower back pressed into the floor; lift your shoulder blades off the floor curling your upper body towards your knee.
- Contract your abs as hard as you can as you lift yourself up.
- Now lower your back to the starting potion.
- Lie down on your back with knees bent and your feet a few inches off the floor.
- You can either place your hands below your hips or behind your head.
- Slowly contract the abdominal by rotating the pelvis up and bringing your knees towards your rib cage. Focus on letting your abs do the work.
- Hold the position for 10 counts and then slowly lower your knees to the starting position.
- Follow the upper ab crunches with diagonal tilts to the right and the left side targeting the oblique and transverse abdominis.
- Lie down straight on the sports mat.
- Rise from your shoulders and reach out to your left knee with your right hand.
- Hold for 5 counts lowering yourself.
- 3 sets of 10-16 repetitions must be enough. Change sides and repeat exercise.
Legs and Buttocks
- Stand with the feet shoulder width apart, arms hanging down by the sides, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Look straight ahead and keep the abdominals contracted. Arch the back slightly outwards while bending the knees and lowering the hips towards the floor.
- Stop when the thighs reach horizontal, extend the knees and return to the standing position.
Note: Do not let the knees cross the toes in the sitting position. Keep looking straight and maintain a slight concave arch in the back. Never round the back.
- Sit on the leg extension machine and grasp the handles to stabilize the torso.
- Bend the knees and place the ankles under the ankle pads.
- Using the front thigh muscles, extend (straighten) the legs so that they are parallel to the floor.
- Slowly return back to starting position.
Lying leg curls
- Lie facing downwards on the leg curl machine holding the handles, legs straight and ankles fixed under the ankle pads.
- Using the back thigh muscles, curl the legs trying to touch the hips with the heels.
- Slowly uncurl.
Note: Keep the toes pointed away from the body.
Cable back kicks
- Stand on one leg facing the cable machine and the other leg attached to the ankle strap of the low pulley.
- Keep the pelvis tilted forward and grasp the handle to stabilize the position.
- Extend the hip and pull the leg back and then slowly return to the starting position.
Note: Hip extension is limited so do not try to go overboard. Do the movement slowly and in control.
- Sit on the floor with your back straight.
- Make sure you are not printing your hands on the floor. Keep them to your si...