Asthma is a lifelong condition but by following certain tips, one can tide over the complications with relative ease. One of the ways to do so is having healthy foods that help to reduce asthma. Some of the foods that you should try immediately, if not tried already are:
- Avocados – It has a substance called glutathione which helps to safeguards cells and detoxifies pollutants. Since the pollutants are one of the major triggers of an asthma attack, avocado is useful in preventing asthma attacks.
- Ginger – It is a strong anti-inflammatory herb. It is known mostly for treating a cold but it’s also excellent for alleviating asthma. It has a substance known as gingerols which has strong anti-inflammatory properties. Try to get fresh ginger from the grocery as it is most effective.
- Bananas – Vitamin B6 and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) is a vital component for relief from asthma. Pyridoxine can significantly reduce the severity and frequency of asthma attacks. Although it is found in many foods, it is most rich in banana.
- Apples – Studies have shown the asthma controlling properties of apple and apple juice. In one of these studies, it was established that pregnant women who ate apples were able to protect their child from being afflicted with asthma. The high antioxidant content of bioflavonoids such as quercetin has high anti-inflammatory properties that help in the condition of asthma patients.
- Fruity vegetables – The name may be amusing but it is an effective treatment for asthma. It includes a group of vegetables that include tomatoes, eggplants, green beans, cucumber and zucchini. In a study conducted in Spain, 460 asthma patient children were given this diet of fruity vegetable. The result was that it improved the condition of the children when compared with even those who ate other fruits.
- Pears – High consumption of pears has been linked to better protection against asthma. You should try the fruit with mint leaves. This is because mint is always associated with relief from cold and decongestion of cough in throat.
You can try any of the fruits mentioned above or consult with a nutritionist to learn more about the kinds of foods that are very helpful in controlling the symptoms of asthma. You might also want to take the help of a naturopath in deciding about the choice of foods most suitable for treating your condition of asthma.
Read more articles on Asthma Treatment