A healthy brain cancer diet is one that provides all the necessary nutrients to heal damaged cells and tissues and catalyse recovery from brain cancer. Brain cancer fighting foods help maintain health in cancer patients. Brain cancer diet is structured by health care providers after a detailed assessment of the patient’s condition. Among the most common types of brain cancer fighting foods are fish, poultry, legumes, yoghurt, whole grains, cereals, vegetables and fruits.
Mentioned below are few tips to decrease brain cancer symptoms and complications.
- One must abstain from foods such as milk, cheese, gluten, soy, corn, preservatives and chemical food additives. These foods may be allergic to you. Consult your health care provider for inclusion of these options in your dietary regimen.
- Brain cancer patients must consume few red meats, lean meats, cold water fish, tofu and beans for protein.
- Organic meat, eggs, whey and vegetable protein shakes are healthier protein sources that should be chosen to fulfil protein requirement.
- Healthy cooking oil such as olive oil or vegetable oil should be used in meal preparation.
- Cancer patients must reduce the intake of trans fatty acids, which is found in baked foods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, donuts and processed preparations.
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants such as alcohol and tobacco.
- To restrict the spread of brain cancer, health care providers recommend an inclusion of foods rich in folic acid.
Physical Activity and Supplements
- Being physically active is another integral aspect for recovery from brain cancer.
- Discuss your medical condition with a health care provider and ask him/her to recommend physical exercise regimen for you.
- Nutritional deficiencies can be met with probiotic supplements and omega-3 fatty acids such as fish oil.
- Supplements help in decreasing inflammation and enhance immunity. They also increase blood thinning effects of medications such as aspirin.
Benefits of Brain Cancer Diet
- Brain cancer diet not only helps in treating brain cancer but also healing and regaining strength from the various treatments that you receive.
- The healthy cancer diet increases calorie consumption and helps in maintaining weight.
- Eating more protein helps to rebuild tissues and muscles.
- Brain diet provides the much-needed vitamins and minerals such as beta-carotene, selenium, vitamin C, vitamin E and eicosapentaenoic acid.
- Among healthy brain cancer fighting foods are spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, fruits and fish.
- It also nullifies the side-effects of medication, surgery or radiation.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Understand Brain Cancer.