Babies cry and cry a lot. With crying being the only medium to communicate, babies cry and tell people around them about their needs. They are probably not old enough to gesture or talk. In case screaming reservoir overflows, parents become stressed out and might not know the appropriate way to deal with it. Moreso, they at times can’t find the reason why their child is actually crying. It is for you to judge right as to why your baby is screaming and not responding to your efforts to calm them down.
There are no hard and fast rules that could explain the perpetual crying of your child. So, have patience to discover the plausible reasons behind their being distressed. Childcare experts too have different opinions on the manner in which the parents or those around the kids must respond in. Some of them are quite easy to comfort, whereas others should be left to just cry. Some children are relieved of their distress simply with a candy or a toy, while others cry more and more, long and loud for prolonged period.
1. Appropriate Response: Child conveys several moods such as sadness or anger in his cries. If such attempts are ignored on regular basis, child will find it difficult to express the same feelings in words later on in life and would perhaps keep to himself. A child sees all his actions responded in a positive manner, which is why appropriate response becomes crucial. Parents should understand that their child is not doing it for the sake of making them helpless. Every child is doing best, according to his age, circumstances and experiences. So, all that’s expected out of you parents or caretakers is responsible attitude and timely dealing with them.
2. You are their Role Models: If you don’t tend to ignore their constant crying they might consider themselves unwanted. Your rightdoings and responses will be reflected in their behaviour. Therefore, be a role model not the one they hate.
3. Frustration Leads to Aggression: Physical punishment has never done any good to anyone. Child cannot express anger in the childhood to the physical punishment. As he grows and experiences it more over the years, it gets repressed and builds up. In his teenage, he has no fear of physical punishment. Moreover, he carries the rebellion frame of mind all his life and might be violent at home too. As a parent it is your duty to address them with patience and not ignore their change in behaviour.
4. Every Feeling is Legitimate: After being ignored all our life, we lose the belief that each feeling is legitimate. Owing to this, we forget that good side brings positive response from others. Therefore, ignored child faces trouble in maintaining relationships later in their life. Do you want your child to be anti-social?
5. Acquired Traits: Experiences are passed on to the next generation. If we receive love and care all our life, we treat successors with the same care. Inadequate parenting lingers to generations until new experiences make an intervention.
Read more articles on Parenting Tips