Gaining the right amount of weight during pregnancy determines the health of the expectant mother as well as the unborn baby. Gaining excessive weight or less than normal affects the health of both in an adverse way. Here are some important facts explaining weight gain during pregnancy:
[Read:How to Control Weight Gain during Pregnancy]
- The ideal amount of weight to be gained during pregnancy depends upon how much you weighed when you conceived. Women whose weight is in the normal range should gain about 25-30 pounds. Women who are overweight should gain about 15-20 pounds while women who are underweight should gain 28-40 pounds.
- There are various risks associated with gaining more weight than normal. In case you gain too much weight during pregnancy, you put yourself at the risk of high blood pressure or complications of gestational diabetes.
- In the same way, gaining less weight during pregnancy is also a threat. In case of less weight gain, the chances of premature delivery or birth of an unhealthy child increases.
- The safest way to gain weight during pregnancy is to put on weight in a slow and steady manner. You put on some amount of weight for the growth of the baby and the rest because of several changes that take place in your body to support the pregnancy.
- Usually, you do not gain as much weight during the first trimester as in the second and the third trimester.
- Your weight gain during the first trimester may get affected due to morning sickness and vomiting. However, if it continues, then you must consult a doctor as it may pose a serious problem.
- The ideal distribution of weight that you gain during the entire course of pregnancy is:
- Growth of the baby: 7-8 pounds
- Placenta: 2-3 pounds
- Uterus: 2-5 pounds
- Enlargement of breast tissues: 2-3 pounds
- Storage of fat and other nutrients to be used in delivery and later for feeding: 5-9 pounds
- Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
- Increase in blood supply: 4 pounds
Here are some important tips to help you gain weight in a healthy manner throughout your pregnancy:
- You should gain weight by having a balanced and wholesome diet. Extra and useless calories should be kept to minimum.
- You should have small meals at regular time intervals rather than having three large meals throughout the day.
- Staying active throughout your pregnancy is very important. Therefore, maintain a healthy exercise routine as approved by your doctor.
- Increase your intake of water and other fluids in order to keep your body hydrated. Moreover, it is advisable not to have sweetened drinks such as soft drinks and lemonade in order to avoid useless calories.
- Prefer to have low fat or fat free milk and milk products over whole milk.
[Read:Healthy Ways to Gain Weight during Pregnancy]
- Satisfy your food carving by keeping various healthy snacks such as dry fruits and nuts close at hand.
- Include large portions of fresh fruits, green vegetables and whole grains in your diet in order to get the required nutrition rather than unnecessary calories.
While keeping these facts in mind, gain the right amount of weight in the right way and present your baby her first gift of good health.
Read more articles on Pregnancy.