Weight gain and high sugar levels are not the only two effects of drinking cola in excess. It can cause unusual syncope (fainting) as well. A new study has found that consuming cola in excess and eating honey made from the pollen of Rhododendrons can trigger symptoms of arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) and fainting.
Two case studies about these findings were presented at the EHRA EUROPACE 2013 meeting held in Athens this June.
The first study stated the adverse effects of drinking excessive cola by addressing the case study of a 31 year old woman with traumatic syncope who was admitted to the Princess Grace Hospital Centre in Monaco. Once other risk factors had been excluded (such as family history of sudden death, digestive symptoms and metabolic or hormonal abnormalities), the patient’s tests revealed blood potassium levels of 2.4mmol/L and a QTc (the QT interval on the ECG corrected for heart rate) of 610 ms.
Normal blood potassium levels range between 3.5 to 5.1 mmol/L; while the normal QTc for women is less than or equal to 450 ms.
The second brief was reported at The Central Hospital, Turkey and was about a 68 year old father and 27 year old son who were both admitted at the same time with symptoms of vomiting and dizziness. External ECGs revealed both patients to have complete antriventricular block and atrial flutter with small ventricular responses.
The history of the duo disclosed that for the past three days they had consumed high amounts of honey from the Black sea region of Turkey. This information triggered the doctors to consider that their patients could be suffering from ‘mad honey poisoning’.
Eating honey contaminated with grayanotoxin, a chemical contained in nectar from the Rhododendron species, arouse mad honey poisoning.
Dizziness, weakness, nausea and excessive perspiration are some of its mild symptoms. Severe ones include syncope, seizures and complete antrioventricular block.
So, you might want to be careful the next time you a buy a bottle of cola or honey.
Read more Health News.
Fruits are healthy to eat, but have you ever given a thought to the amount of calories they have? Could eating a lot of them make you more healthy orread more
Now beer drinkers should be careful as drinking just a little of it could also attract mosquitoes, this comes from a new study.read more