The Christmas tree is indisputably one of the underscores on Christmas, the lack of which leaves the festival incomplete. Trimming the Christmas tree is one of the most amusing parts during Christmas time, however, all the fun that Christmas brings with itself snowballs into several serious health and safety threats. Imagine how disappointing it would be if the branches of the Christmas tree catch fire amidst all the preparation or you catch fire after coming in contact with a nearby candle! Adopt the following steps to keep your family healthy and safe.
Christmas tree fires are one of the most severe holiday hazards. Over the years, several Christmas tree fires have been reported by the U.S fire department. Most of the fires were caught for have been kept close to a heat source such as a portable heater, fireplace, lamps, open flames etc. Electrical problems have also been known to have caused the fire. To ensure that you celebrate Christmas safely this year, always test artificial Christmas trees before buying and check for the “fire resistant” label on the tree. If you are bringing home a natural tree, ensure that it is fresh. If you had purchased the Christmas tree a few days prior to the bid day, place it in a water-holding stand until it is time for Christmas.
Even though the evergreen trees don’t usually cause allergies or asthma, some do breed mold spores that trigger allergic reactions in people who are prone to allergies such as itching, sneezing etc. Opt for an artificial tree if you are allergic to mold spores.
[Read: Dressing Right for Christmas]
When decorating the natural evergreen tree, people use heavy decorative items that if not hanged properly, can fall down any moment. You sure do not want your guests or family members to be rushed to the hospital on Christmas. Hang the decorative items tightly; in fact, perform a test on how well the decorative items hang on the branches by pulling them a couple of times.
Christmas trees pose threats to your furry friends in the family. The water that the tree holder contains is mixed with bacteria and fertilizers that can upset your pet’s stomach easily. If consumed, the ornaments, tinsel, ribbons etc can cause problems with your pet’s stomach.
Read more articles on Festival Fever.
Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.