Caution Bangaloreans! The Litchi you are Eating could be Infected

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Jun 13, 2014

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

West Bengal had between June 3 and June 7 reported the deaths of 8 children as a result of the presence of an unknown virus in the seasonal fruit, Litchi. After the incident occurred, the TMC government advised people to avoid consuming unripe litchis that were reported to be carrying the toxins.

Litchi fruitIn other states of the country, the fruit is being sold anywhere between the range of Rs 30 to Rs 300 per kg. In the southern states like Chennai and Bangalore, the fruit is being supplied from West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand and are being sold at a price between Rs 250 to Rs 300.

On Monday, a 6-year old girl had been reported to have fallen ill after consuming litchi. She experienced a bout of stomach ache following which she has found it hard to gather her strength and go to school for 3 days. Fortunately, she has been feeling better after being given adequate treatment.

Doctors in the Bangalore region have advised people to keep away from summer fruits like Litchis and mangoes so as to avoid being infected with viral diseases. They believe that off late, a poisonous substance called methylene cyclopropyl is present in the litchis and has been known to lower glucose levels in children. If any form of uneasiness after consumption of these fruits is not given immediate treatment, it can lead to brain cancer, encephalitis and even become fatal especially if the level of chemicals in the body is too high.

Article source: Oneindia
Image source: Getty
Read more Health News.

Write Comment Read ReviewDisclaimer
Is it Helpful Article?YES3 Votes 1239 Views 0 Comment