Canker Sores: When should one seek medical advice?

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Dec 28, 2012

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Quick Bites

  • The small, shallow ulcers that appear in the mouth.
  • These can make eating and talking uncomfortable.
  • Consult your doctor if you have severe canker sores.
  • Also when they are becoming worse.

The small, shallow ulcers that appear in the mouth are known as canker sores. These sores make eating and talking uncomfortable. Depending on the occurrence, there are two kinds of canker sores. First, sores that appear three or four times a year and last up to a week. (these occur in people of ages between 10 and 20 get them). The second type are less common and occur more often in people who have previously had them.


canker sores medical advice



Canker sores are mostly round, white or yellow centre and a red border. Usually, they form inside the mouth- on or under the tongue, inside the cheeks or lips, at the base of the gums, or on the soft palate. A tingling or burning sensation might be experienced a day or two before the sores actually appear.

The minor canker sores are the one which are usually small, oval shaped, and heal without scarring in one or two weeks. The major canker sores are less common, larger and deeper than minor canker sores. It may take up to six weeks to heal.


When to Seek Medical Advice

Consult your doctor if you have severe, recurring canker sores, or if they are becoming worse. Some people may get canker sore as a part of other, more significant, disorders, including inflammatory bowel disease, connective tissue diseases, drug allergies, arthritic disorders, inflammatory skin disorders and cancer. So of you have canker sores associated with other symptoms such as rashes, joint pain, fevers or diarrhea consult  a dentist or your doctor.




Read more articles on Canker Sores.


Write a Review
Is it Helpful Article?YES10763 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.

  • All
  • Article
  • Slideshow
  • Video
  • QnA

    Medical Miracle

    India’s pregnant man?India’s pregnant man?