A new research have found that the bacteria found in improperly cooked chicken can cause paralysis. This bacteria leads to Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) – the leading cause of acute neuromuscular paralysis.
GBS is the world’s leading cause of acute neuromuscular paralysis in humans and despite much speculation, the exact mechanisms of how this autoimmune disease develops have been widely unknown. After eating bad food like undercooked chicken, a person can initially experience vomiting and diarrhea. One to three weeks later, they can begin to develop weakness and tingling in the feet and legs.
Slowly, paralysis can spread to the upper body and arms, and even a respirator may be needed for breathing.
This study was conducted at Michigan State University (MSU), College of Veterinary Medicine in the US. This experiment demonstrates how this food-borne bacterium known as Campylobacter jejuni triggers Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS). Also,the information about the cure can be further carried out for preclinical and clinical trials.
The research was published in the Journal of Autoimmunity.
Image Source: Getty
Read More: Health News
Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.