Your seven month old baby has started to show some personality and feels independent too. He can do many activities without any help from you. He knows that he can control things around him and that it is so much fun doing that. Development of a seven months old baby can be encouraged by engaging him in activities that develop his skills. Besides motor skills, it becomes important to encourage the development of his perceptive abilities such as curiosity and creativity.
Teething, eating and enhanced motor skills are the most noticeable developments in a seven months old baby. The baby can sit without help, pick up objects and toys with a firm grasp, is strong enough to stand on his legs if supported, can hold a cup and drink from it and even eat with a spoon. He has started to feel a lot more independent than he used to in the earlier months.
Teething is another development of a seven months old baby. The bottom two teeth come up first followed by the top two. The baby drools a lot more during these days and is discomforted by gums. This makes him fussier than before. A cold piece of cloth should be given to the baby to chew for soothing the gums. The gradual shift from milk to solid foods has also started in your baby. You can try giving the baby slightly more solid food. Mashed vegetables or fruits are preferable. Check for signs of allergies and conditions such as diarrhoea, rashes, vomiting and wheezing when you give him solid foods.
Dr. Segal, author of Your Child at Play, has given some advice for development of a seven months old baby.
1. Play peek-a-boo. Your baby’s delight and relief at your reappearance indicates that he has begun to accept the fact that you will come back after some time of absence.
2. Say “lights off” as you make your baby turn the switch. This will help him make the connection between darkness and the act of switching.
3. Call out the name of any toy that he reaches out to. It can be anything such as, elephant, phone, clown, banana, spoon, kitten or anything suitable to the toy or object.
4. Allow him to interact with other kids his age. He will enjoy playing with other children.
5. Try dropping games. Drop a ball into a plastic bowl in front of him. It will amuse him and he will want to try it on his own.
3 months old baby’s development is enough to make him develop some definite personality traits in his own right.read more
2 months old baby developmental milestones- A 2 months old baby should achieve certain developmental milestones during this rapid growth phase.read more