Anti-Baldness Drug help men to Lose interest in Alcohol

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Jun 15, 2013

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

a glass of whiskey on the rocks

New research suggests that taking anti-baldness drugs would help men to lose interest in alcohol. It was found that those who take finasteride which is also known as procpecia in order to stop their hairline  from receding somehow tend to drink less alcohol after starting the medication. Also it was found that two-thirds of men who take the drugs and develop side effects like low sex drive in fact drink less as a result. This study was carried out at the George Washington University.

It showed that this side effect continues even after the man has stopped taking the medication. Finasteride is the only once-a day pill developed to treat mild to moderate male pattern hair loss.

In a clinical study of 535 men taking the drug, 99 per cent had visible results, growth or no further hair loss after two years. It works by stopping the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, which is thought to be the active hormone in hair loss.

Researcher Dr Michael Irwig interviewed 83 healthy men who developed persistent sexual side effects while taking finasteride. He also collected information relating to the men’s medical histories, sexual function, and alcohol consumption before and after taking finasteride. He found that of the 63 men who consumed at least one alcoholic drink per week prior to starting finasteride, 65 per cent noted a decrease in their alcohol consumption even after they stopped taking finasteride.

Read more articles on Health News

Write a Review
Is it Helpful Article?YES1238 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.