Better eating is associated with better ageing. So says the author of Anti-ageing Medicine: Myths and Chances, Astrid Stuckelberger; but can dietary supplements be an important add-on?
The objective of eating dietary supplements along with food is to compensate ageing deficiencies in the body as per certain differential factors such as compensating vitamin D for the lack of exposure to sun, etc. The best anti-ageing supplements are those that repair the damage to the body by natural methods. Ageing is believed to be caused by stress that is put on the body by the process of oxidation caused by free radicals. The oxidation caused by free radicals brings about a chain reaction which extracts electrons from other cells, leading to their damage. There are many factors responsible for free electrons such as air pollution, ultraviolet rays, toxic chemicals, fatty and fried food items, cigarette smoke, among many others.
Some of the anti-aging diet supplements you can try are as follows:
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants work, as the name suggests, against the oxidation process and prevent the reaction of free radicals with the skin. You should have foods that contain more of antioxidants such as gingko, grape seed extract and green tea. Apart from these herbs, certain spices also contain antioxidants. They are celery, cloves, oregano, rosemary and sage.
- DHEA supplements: DHEA is an adrenal hormone which is produced most abundantly in the human body. It has been reported to have very good anti-ageing impact on women with restoration of their oestrogen, progesterone, estradiol and estrone levels. In men, it improves the level of testosterone and androstenedione with benefits such as lower stress, mood enhancement, improved memory and sleep. It may be noted that this dietary supplement is recommended for people over 30 years of age.
- Marine Phytoplankton: Phytoplankton lies at the base of the food chain and is considered to be responsible for 75 percent of the Earth’s oxygen. If it is consumed as a food supplement, it brings oxygen into the body. Oxygen is an important atmospheric element needed to make good the damage caused by free radicals in the body. Make sure that the phytoplankton you get from the store does not contain useless fillers because the process of converting the marine version into human consumable version is very expensive.
- Fish oil: According to Discovery Health, an important component that exists in fish oil supplements is omega-3 fatty acid, which keeps the heart healthy. Fish oil may also be able to reduce the risk of sudden death in patients suffering from coronary heart disease. Certain studies show that fish oil is helpful in lowering the level of triglyceride fats that are related to cholesterol. Fish oil is also said to be a mood enhancer if taking in conjunction with anti-depressants. It can keep stress away and therefore, slow the formation of wrinkles and other visible signs of ageing.
- HCG or human growth hormone: HCG is said to be a resourceful dietary supplement should you want to reverse your age clock. HCG is found naturally in our pituitary gland and is said to be important for the normal development of a child. Most importantly, Discovery Health states, it is known as the Fountain of Youth, which helps to reverse the effects of ageing. HCG levels tend to decrease naturally as you age.
Whatever anti-ageing diet supplement you choose, it should be done after due consideration of the following:
- Observe your skin type by looking closely at your facial skin in a mirror. You need to know whether your skin is oily, dry or normal. This would tell you the right sort of supplement to take for controlling the signs of ageing.
- Know the ingredients and associated health risks of the supplement you intend to take. You might be allergic to some of the ingredients.
- Verify whether the supplement is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in USA, and relevant health authorities in other countries.
- You might want to check out the supplements that have money back guarantee if the claims of the manufacturers do not satisfy you.
Read more articles on Anti-ageing.