Alzheimer's Disease: When should one seek Medical Advice?

By  , Expert Content
Feb 23, 2012

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Alzheimer's disease (AD) progresses slowly, over time. Here are some reasons to seek medical advice for Alzheimer's disease.


Consult a doctor immediately if:

  • Symptoms such as difficulty in concentration, shortened attention span, memory problems, or hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not actually present) progress rapidly over hours to days.
  • There is a significant change in the behaviour of the person with AD or the symptoms worsen rapidly.

Call your doctor for an appointment if:

  • The symptoms of AD such as a shortened attention span, memory problems, hallucinations or delusions are gradually becoming worse over a few weeks or months.
  • Symptoms such as shortened attention span, memory loss affect the person's work or social life or has high chances of resulting in injury or harm to the person.
  • Symptoms are worse enough to require personal/specialised care.


Watchful Waiting

If the symptoms of AD such as memory loss and shortened attention span are not severe enough to disturb the person’s work, social life, or ability to function; you can wait. Some degree of memory loss can occur as a normal part of ageing.


Whom to See

Health professionals who can help to evaluate the symptoms of memory loss or confusion and guide regarding further treatment include:

  • Nurse.
  • Physician assistant.
  • Family medicine physician.
  • Internist.
  • Geriatrician.
  • Neurologist.
  • Psychiatrist.


Read more articles on Understand Alzheimers



Write a Review Feedback
Is it Helpful Article?YES1 Vote 10877 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.

  • All
  • Article
  • Slideshow
  • Video