AIDS tax in Nigeria to improve HIV funding

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Nov 28, 2012

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

AIDS tax in Nigeria to improve HIV funding

In a move to improve the domestic funding to treat HIV, the Nigerian government is proposing to introduce AIDS tax.

The proposed measure will ensure a considerable hike in the domestic funds to fight HIV, AIDS and also mother to child disease transmission, which has already seen a 10 percent increase.

The Civil society Organisations in Nigeria have urged the federal government to ensure a speedy hearing to the bill.

The government of Nigeria with the help of the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA) received an estimated sum of US$ 25 million from the Global Funds for AIDS, TB and Malaria. It also got an additional US$ 17 million from UNITAID, an international drug purchase facility for the prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV.

According to the Director General of the NACA, Prof. John Idoko, the proposed issue of levying AIDS taxes on cellphone and airline is under consideration and soon it will be taken forward to the National Assembly.

Idoko also said that earlier the domestic contribution to AIDS prevention fund was only 15 percent and now it has risen fairly to 25 percent, which is a good sign. This has also helped the country to reduce its dependency on the donour support.

The NACA director also mentioned that his organisation is working to ensure that the bill gets an easy and rapid passage in the House of Representatives.



Write a Review Feedback
Is it Helpful Article?YES11145 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.